There seems to be a universal iterative cycle that complex systems take in decision making. Understanding each stage can help you make better, more accurate decisions.
This is the Simon Wardley strategy cycle:
- Purpose (why we do what we do)
- Landscape (where we’re acting)
- Climate (what trends and forces are occuring)
- Doctrine (apply universal patterns to orient ourselves)
- Leadership/Gameplay (decision for action)
Originates from Simon Wardley’s work, which is a combination of multiple sources, including Sun Tzu’s Art of War, and John Boyd’s work on OODA loops.